Lead Software Engineer
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
As part of the Risk Platform Engineering team, this software engineering role will design, develop and maintain key risk management product features targeted towards availability performance and scalability of PayPal services. The role expects high standard of engineering excellence with some practical experience or at least strong conceptual understanding in building and maintaining internet-scale applications and services.
- 8+ years of experience developing software, primarily with object-oriented languages such as JAVA/J2EE
- Deep understanding of and extensive experience applying advanced object-oriented design and development principles
- Experience developing data-driven applications using an industry standard RDBMS (Oracle, DB2, etc.), including strong data architecture and SQL development skills
- Experience collaborating with business users to define the key business requirements and translate them into process/technical solutions
- Experience in Unix based development environment (Unix, Shell, Perl, Python) is a plus
- Experience applying software design patterns
- Experience with unit testing (preferably Google Test) and tools
- Experience using industry standard software development tools (IDE / Version Control / Continuous Integration)
- Strong debugging and problem resolution skills
- Expertise in online payments and related domains is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards and unwavering integrity
- Effective team and individual management practices
- Strong system and data flow knowledge. Ability to learn and adapt to new product flows and software technologies
- Strong analytical, research, problem solving and evaluative thinking skills. Knowledge of actuarial methods and models a strong plus
- Acute attention to detail and well developed organization and time management skills.
- Well-developed sense of urgency and follow through
- Strong communication skills - including ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations
- High level of energy and a desire to thrive in a large, complex, fast-paced organization; ability to handle multiple projects under pressure
Strong work ethic, including the ability to work independently, but also knows how to have fun while doing it!
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.