Senior Performance Engineer
About Akamai Technologies
If you've ever shopped online, downloaded music, watched a web video or connected to work remotely, you've probably used Akamai's cloud platform. Akamai helps businesses connect the hyperconnected, empowering them to transform and reinvent their business online. We remove the complexities of technology so you can focus on driving your business faster forward – enabling you to embrace trends like cloud, mobile and media, while overcoming the challenges presented by security threats and the need to reach users globally. Customers trust our cloud platform to securely deliver high-performing user experiences to any device, anywhere. Reaching globally and delivers locally, The Akamai Intelligent Platform™, provides customers with unmatched reliability, security, and visibility into their online businesses. Follow us at @Akamai, visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AkamaiTechnologies, and check out our videos on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/akamaitechnologies. Also, read our Corporate blog at https://blogs.akamai.com/
About The Job
The Data Performance Engineering team at Akamai is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Performance Engineer that can work across all areas of the company including engineering, operations, networking and technical services. Data performance engineering deals with end-to-end responsibility for ensuring that our core networks are performing well. A well performing network in addition to being fast and available also needs to be robust and well operated. Candidate should have very strong communication skills, have experience driving results in a matrix organization, resourceful in getting things done, and productive working independently or collaboratively in a global environment.
About The Team
The Data Performance team is an elite group of highly skilled and motivated people who debug, measure, analyze, and improve our systems. They are generalists with deep technical understanding, both of software and the Internet, who enjoy taking a holistic view of complex systems.
- Collect and analyze data from networks serving 10s of millions of hits per second to discern trends and anomalies.
- Work in a distributed network / content delivery environment on Linux and Windows, applying advanced skills in network diagnostics and debugging tools, and the related network protocols and implementations, routing protocols, and application level protocols to measure, analyze, characterize and improve performance, robustness, availability and scalability of large distributed content delivery systems.
- Debug complex service issues including service incidents, complex customer setups, field trials, performance issues, and availability issues.
- Work in and with teams across all technical areas in the Company including engineering, customer care and professional services to enable innovative new solutions in both live and test network for complex issues that span multiple technologies and services often to meet specific customer needs.
- Respond to incidents, but more importantly gather and analyze data to root out errors, discern trends and prevent incidents through pro-active analysis and monitoring.
Applicants must meet the following education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in CDN or cloud technologies
- Ability to convert high-level business objectives into practical technology solutions
- Ability to hit the ground running
- Requires teamwork, innovative thinking, and initiative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Programming experience in C/C++, Java or Python and openness to learning new technologies
- Advanced technical skills in troubleshooting and problem resolution for a content delivery/streaming media environment
- Advanced programming skills in C/C++, Java or Python
- Perl scripting for Linux and Windows operating systems
- Working knowledge of Hadoop and familiarity with other distributed data analysis frameworks
- Thorough understanding of distributed systems, network routing, Internet principles and statistical data analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of network protocols and implementations (DNS, TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SSL), routing protocols (BGP and OSPF) and application-level protocols (overlay routing and Peer-to-Peer file sharing protocols)
Is relocation available for this position?
Is US Citizenship required?
Is a Security Clearance required? (If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information)